Wednesday 25 July 2012

Welcome!

HI! and welcome to My Whole and Healthy life : ).


This blog has been a long time coming as with every passing day, I feel more and more desperate to share my thoughts on all things health, life and FOOD with like-minded, passionate people.
The world of blogging has captured me over the last few months as I have gained so many wonderful ideas for healthy recipes, interesting workouts and have enjoyed simply reading inspiring posts written by motivating and positive people. To be able to contribute to that world the way I hope to would bring great satisfaction.


So today - being the day of the birth of my first blog - is a special day, and I always hoped that my first post would be worth reading so LUCKILY I had some success in the kitchen last night that I feel is worthy of sharing!


I spend at least 3 hours a day travelling between home and work and I often find myself spending the entire trip home brainstorming new things I can cook and healthy ways to alter recipes. I get so excited about these ideas that I often end up stopping at the supermarket on the way home to collect any neccessary ingredients and get home to start experimenting. Yesterday, my trip home took me about 2 hours alone so I had plenty of time to come up with the recipes that brought me my success last night! 


One of my favourite things to do is to create and prepare delicious and healthy recipes. I am determined to do so because contrary to popular opinion, I completely believe that healthy food can taste as good if not, better than food laden with artificial and/or unhealthy ingredients. We don't need to jeaopardise our health to enjoy a tasty meal and I hope that I can inspire others to realise this wonderful news.


On that note....


Custard and Mixed Berry Tart





Crust (not pictured)

1 cup wholegrain mixed oats (ground)
1/2 cup wholemeal spelt flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
5 tbs apple sauce


Place oats in food processor and process until fine like flour, then add to a mixing bowl with the wholemeal spelt flour.
In a separate bowl, mix cinnamon, vanilla and apple sauce - then add wet mixture to dry mixture.
Mix together (i used my hands) and spread into a pie plate so that the crust is about 5mm thick. (My crust was about 1cm thick and I think it would have been nice thinner - maybe extend the crust up the sides of the pie plate).
Place crust in the preheated oven (160 degrees C) for 10 minutes or until slightly golden.


Filling


3 eggs
1.5 cups milk of choice (dairy, almond, soy etc.)
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp natvia (natural sweetener - brand of stevia)
2 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries (if frozen, defrost in microwave and drain excess liquid)


Place a small amount of the milk in a measuring jug (microwavable) and add stevia, heat so that stevia dissolves then add remaining milk (to make 1.5 cups) to cool the milk down. Combine all filling ingredients, except berries in a mixing bowl and stir. Place berries evenly on top of golden crust and then pour egg mixture over the top.


Place in the oven and cook until egg mixture has risen slightly, golden and slightly hardened.








Voila! 

Serve with homemade banana ice "cream" or low fat yoghurt :).







-Hoping to perfect a recipe for healthy ice cream soon. In the meantime, it is good enough just by itself! :)

So, hopefully this very first post proves useful to somebody!

For now, im heading to bed for the night (dreaming of Custard and mixed berry pie, no doubt) and ill be hoping to rise early for a good gym session before I begin my trek to work again : ).

- Mel

1 comment:

  1. I really want to try this it looks like something I could actually make without too much fuss and looking at it is making my mouth water!question what could we do with oats if we dont have a food processor?

    ReplyDelete